Monday, April 28, 2008

A Cruel Joke

I want to preface this blog by saying that I love where I work. I love the people, the mission, the vision, the values...all of it fits right in with what I look for in an employer. The one thing I am taking issue with, these days, is a little clause in the dress code that states that women must wear nylons if they are going to wear skirts or capri pants. I am not taking issue with the fact that I understand the need to cover thet feet for infection control reason or the fact that a lack of nylons looks extremely unprofessional...I just believe that there should be certain exemptions, like pregnancy.

Allow me to explain for those of you who have never been pregnant. It is hard to bend over, bring my leg up to my knee or do anything that requires any kind of body contortion to get it done. This includes putting on nylons. Especially because the pregnancy nylons are compressed, making it even harder to get them on. So, there I was this morning, trying to get my nylons on, leaning back on the bed to get my leg up, breathing heavily as I attempted to force said nylons over my legs and up to my waist...keeping in mind that it was literally fighting an uphill battle because they didn't want to budge (thank you for the compression part of the nylon). When I finally got dressed I was exaughsted and ready for bed again. Keep in mind, it is only Monday...and I am only 25 weeks pregnant with plenty of time left for me to get bigger, and bigger, and bigger. By June I suspect that I will not be wearing nylons, but knee highs (which are just as uncomfortable because the band cuts into your leg).

I tried pleading my "case" to our Chief Operating Officer but got no where. She basically said "suck it up...you're a manager". Keep in mind, she may have been more sympathetic to anyone else complaining but I, being her daughter, am in a very unique position.

Guess I will just have to warn Kevin that if he hears a huge thud coming from our room one morning, he better come and check on me...chances are good that I will be on the floor with nylons around my knees!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Boy I can't imagine having to get into a pair of nylons right now!